I am going to start off today with a few events going on this weekend that might interest you. First up is the Annual Zobo Winter Flounder Derby presented by Fishing Finatics on Saturday. This is a great tournament and it really bums me out that I can not attend this year as I had a great time fishing with Pete Santini last year. But if you don’t have any plans, I urge you to sign up and participate as the flounder bite is hot and heavy around Boston Harbor right now! Check out the card at the upper right hand corner of this video for details on the tournament.
And next up we have a huge on-water kayak and stand-up paddleboard demo weekend at Black Hall Outfitters in Old Lyme on Saturday and Sunday. There will be factory reps and instructors on hand from a variety of companies including Old Town Kayak, Ocean Kayak, Necky Kayak, BIC SUP, Pulse SUP, EVOLVE SUP and Michael Dolsey SUP. They will also have ongoing demos, live music, raffles and more. You can get all the details on our website through the card that is at the upper right hand corner of the screen right now.
• While the striper bite is still worth noting, the really big news is the bottom fishing out in the Sound. First up the black sea bass fishing in the middle to western waters – say around Clinton west – has been very good. Capt TJ of Rock & Roll Charters sent me some pictures of an absolute boat-load of sea bass that he put his clients onto this week. I heard from several contacts that the water right off Clinton has been very good with many limit catches being reported.
• And then from Capt Greg of the Black Hawk, it sounds like the porgy bite out in the Sound is breaking wide open. They had limits all around the boat this week and then with the opener of fluke season in both CT & NY waters on Tuesday the 17th, they doubled-up for the day on some solid catches of fluke.
• I am getting reports of some good catches of small schoolie bass on up to about 30 inches along much of South County. The breachways have been productive and even some bluefish have begun to add into the mix and tear up anglers’ gear already.
• Fluke fishing is starting to gain some solid ground this past week as well with much better reports coming in from both the party boats and private anglers. The fish are still somewhat spread out from Block on to the mainland, but the larger fish are primarily being reported off the island like the solid catch that Mike Wade of Watch Hill Outfitters put together out there recently.
• The crew from Dick’s out on the Vineyard checked-in to report some very good blackfishing right now around the island, and to support this they weighed-in a solid 10.8-pounder. While the Vineyard isn’t traditionally known as a blackfish hotspot some really good catches are regularly made out there.
• And then lastly I got word of the first good-sized bass form the Canal this week as Gervasio Santos jigged up a fat 42-inch bass from the Ditch. We should see some more consistent catches of larger fish reported up there in the next week or so before it blows wide open for the new moon in June.
First video about the cast net fishing in Italy Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3y3Ru6oJqo. source