• In the Sound bluefish are really filling in nicely. I am hearing of anglers landing them from shore as well as by boat with the mouth of the Thames and CT Rivers holding large fish as well as the Race, Gut and Sluiceway. As Capt TJ of Rock and Roll Charters in Clinton put it, “If you want to reel-in fish until you can’t take it any more, then now is the time to get out!”
• Rick Watrous nailed this nice 28.5-pound mahi mahi while fishing out in Atlantis Canyon during the Tri-State Canyon Shootout. The fish took top honors as the largest mahi of the tourney and was entered in the Fisherman’s Dream Boat Challenge.
• The tournament ended up with 80 boats and 146 anglers participating, and they had 11 mahi mahi, 4 wahoo, 11 albacore, 8 bigeye and 11 yellowfin entered. Big fish honors went to angler Jimmy Ricciardi onboard the Castafari with a 260-pound bigeye, and Something Fishy took the top spot overall with a score of 127 points.
• There is some excellent bottom fishing right now taking place in Rhode Island waters. Christine Blount, owner of the Frances Fleet got in on the action and landed some nice fluke and sea bass. I am still hearing of fish being well spread out with good catches being made off South County and the south side of Block.
• While not quite as good as the week before, word is there are still bluefin to be had out at the Dump. Marc and Justin Zurcher trolled up a few nice keepers on recent run. It sounds like most boats making the steam are still able to troll up a fish or two and on the ride back many are stopping off for some cod at Coxes or some large fluke that are hanging around the wind farm.
• I got word of some really nice bass landed off the Cape this week, and we had reference to a 57-pounder in this week’s printed fishing reports from Amy at the Sports Port in Hyannis. Word is that there was a large school of bass that pushed pogies into the beach along Nauset for a few days with fish into the 30-pound class in the wash.
• The other big news is the first shot of bonito hitting the Hedge Fence and the Hooter. Reports came in from a few different MA sources of anglers getting a couple bonito so try trolling Yo-Zuri crystal minnows as that is always a hot lure when they first move in shore.
First video about the cast net fishing in Italy Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3y3Ru6oJqo. source