What You’ll Learn
As you read the increasing amount of women who buy boats, you’ll learn:
- The number of women shopping for boats is increasing by about 75% year over year.
- There are numerous reasons women make skilled captains for any type of boating.
- The culture surrounding boating is evolving as it becomes less of a male-dominated pastime.
Women’s Boating on the Rise
Some people think of boating as something of a boy’s club, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. In recent years, we’ve seen more and more women buying boats here in South Florida, and we’re excited to see that all genders are starting to confidently engage with our favorite pastime. Choose a spacious boat and go on party cruises with your friends, or opt for something faster and treat your family to some water sports. All you have to do is decide what you want from a boat, then go get it!
Women on the Water
The world seems awfully stressful at times, but we’re also making great progress in other areas. One promising trend from recent years is that women are starting to feel more confident taking the initiative to buy boats for themselves. The image of a prototypical captain is changing, and we’re seeing it everywhere from public docks to professional boat racing. Every day, women are proving that they’re just as competent and capable as the men on the water, and often more so!
Just consider some of the qualities that define the best types of boat owners:
- Smart, Safe, and Responsible – Caring for a boat, its passengers, and others on the water can give you a lot to keep your eye on. It’s important to identify and minimize risks on the water to ensure a safe and pleasant experience. If you know how to come up with a plan, stick with it, and overcome obstacles in your way, you already have the temperament of an experienced captain.
- Organized and Attentive – Navigating through open waters and staying aware of your surroundings gets even harder while you’re simultaneously leading activities. When there’s a fishing line, an inner tube, or a wakeboard in play, you have to be able to multitask without missing a beat. Having all of your equipment organized in an orderly fashion will help keep the good times going and keep you in control.
- Social and Fun – Even if you’re pursuing competitive boating (and especially if you aren’t), spending time on the water is all about having fun. A dinner cruise or an active day can be great for fostering a sense of companionship, and it often falls on the captain to guide the outing socially as well as directionally.
The Data on Female Captains
You don’t have to take our word for it, there’s actually a growing body of evidence to show that women are becoming more interested in owning their own boats. Online sources track data about the age and gender of people who look into boat sales and related media about the industry. One particular website even found that 75% more women were actively shopping for boats in 2020 compared to 2019. This is a massive increase, and the spike in interest seems to span all age ranges.
Just consider the following:
- Female boaters between 18 and 24 years of age have been 198% more prevalent in online boating marketplaces, indicating that young women are the most interested of all.
- Women from 25-34 years of age are 71% more likely to look at boats this year than last year.
- There is a 37% increase in women from 35 to 44 years of age looking into boats.
- There is a 55% year-over-year increase in women from 45 to 54 years of age shopping for boats.
- Women from 55 to 64 years of age are 65% more likely to look for boats compared to before.
- Finally, 126% more women of at least 65 years of age were looking for boats, making this the age range with the second-largest increase.
There’s an old stereotype that men pick out boats then ask their wives for approval. If the data above is any indication at all, that tide is changing. The average woman of any age, with or without a partner, is feeling more comfortable making her own decisions about how she wants to spend time on the water.
Choose a Boat by Your Lifestyle
You’re the captain of your own journey. If you’re getting a boat to enjoy being young and adventurous, you may prefer something fast, sporty, and attractive. You’ll get plenty of interest everywhere you go, and you might be surprised by how great it feels to turn a few heads as you take yourself faster and farther than the boat full of boys that’s shrinking into the distance.
If you’re looking for more relaxing sunset cruises with a date or your entire family, a safe, comfortable boat might be more your speed. Choose a deck plan that complements your lifestyle and leaves you room for all of your favorite activities, whether that’s sunbathing, dining, or just sitting around having a nice conversation. Putter around the waterways of South Florida to clear your mind and take in new views.
The best thing about female boat ownership is that women on the water are being freed from outdated expectations, so get the boat that makes the most sense for you. Many women in South Florida are now captains of all different types of boats. Picture your perfect day on the water, and you’re already one step closer to deciding on your dream boat.
- Relaxing Cruises – If you don’t necessarily have the need for speed, look into a sturdy boat with ample seating. These boats are normally fairly easy to operate, which means you have more attention and effort to give your guests.
- Water Sports – The need for speed is not gender-specific, and we sell boats to plenty of women who want to handle the most powerful engines they can find. If that sounds like you, look for sleek, sporty boats that plane quickly and handle sharply. Whether you’re going out solo or with a few guests, you can look forward to a thrilling day on the water.
- Overnight Adventures – Boating is all about freedom, and some people never feel more liberated than when they leave land behind for an entire weekend or even longer. To get away from it all, choose something with a comfortable cabin and good onboard facilities.
- A Little Bit of Everything – Some of the most common searches by women are for boats that can handle it all. If you’re looking for something that’s as versatile and flexible as you are, get a well-rounded boat that blends power, functionality, and comfort.
Boats for Sale in South Florida
Here at Nautical Ventures Marine Superstore, we only have one preconceived notion of how a captain should be– we want to connect with people who share our enthusiasm for the water. Whether you want to push the throttle all the way down or take a quiet ride, visit one of our locations to choose your vessel.